Saturday, November 15, 2014

Salted Apple Caramel Hand Pies Easy as 1-2-3 #handpies #apple


We made some apple hand pies recently and they really were easy. We started with frozen dough from Trader Joes which made it a bunch easier.  It was a fun activity to do together with my daughter and I was surprised that it was pretty quick and fun.

I chopped up about 7 apples fairly fine and blended them with cinnamon and sugar. I just kept tasting it and when it seemed sweet enough I stopped adding. I think anyone can do that. I always do a little at a time so you don't overdo the cinnamon.'
Use a clean drinking glass to cut out circles of dough. I placed then on waxed paper in layer and kept them in the refrigerator until we were ready to use them. It makes the dough a lot easier to work with when it is cold. You spoon a teaspoon or two of apples onto a piece of dough, add a small caramel or a half a teaspoon of Trader Joes liquid caramel sauce, a pinch of kosher salt and top it with a second piece of dough. Don't use too much of the apples or it will be hard to close it up. After you put the piece of dough on top use a fork to gently press the tines down all around to seal it.

See how easy it is? Then once all of them are sealed up in their little hand-pie packages brush the tops with a beaten egg and shake a little sugar on top...I like the bigger clear crystals just to give a little sparkle to them.

Cut two vertical lines on each pie to let the steam escape while they cook. Don't forget! Bake them at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until they are slightly brown. Enjoy.

No comments: